DEFINATION OF BACK PAIN:
Back pain can be caused due to various factors such as muscle strain, sprain or slipped disk. Being overweight can make back pain worse. One of the most common causes of back pain is doing work that you are not used to such as carrying heavy objects or engaging in strenuous physical work.
What is a slipped disk?
The bones that make up your spine contain disk-like structures between them. When a disk gets swollen and presses against the nerves, the condition is called slipped disk. It can be extremely painful and can affect the quality of your life.
The condition is usually caused while trying to lift heavy objects. Sometimes you may not be aware as to what caused your slipped disk. The good news is that slipped disk and other forms of back pain can be relieved by doing some simple exercises and/or medications. Getting your muscles in better shape and improving your posture when you are sitting, standing and sleeping can also help in preventing back ache.
Back pain relief
If you have hurt your back and suffering from backache, follow these steps to get some quick relief:
1. Lie on your back on the floor with pillows under your knees as shown in the picture.
2. You may also keep your feet on a chair with your hips and knees bent as depicted in the picture
3. Do this simple procedure for 1–2 days.
4. Do not do this procedure for long as it can weaken your muscles and delay pain relief.
5. Walk for 5–10 min once in a while, even if you have pain as physical movement can aid in faster recovery.
Other procedures such as using heating pads, ice packs and body massages can also provide relief. But it is best to consult your doctor before doing any of these procedures.
Seeking medical help:
If you experience one or more of the following symptoms, get in touch with your doctor immediately:
1. Your back pain spreads down up to your knees.
You feel numb in your groin, rectal area, legs and foot.
2. You have fever, weakness and sweating.
The pain is so unbearable that you are not able to move.
3. The pain does not go away even after 2 or 3 weeks.
Preventing back pain
The following tips will help you guard yourself from hurting your back:
1. When you lift heavy objects, keep your knees bent and squat while lifting the object. Do not bend to lift it.
2.While carrying the object hold it close to your chest, keep your spine erect and straight.
When you lift heavy objects, keep your knees bent and squat while lifting the object. Do not bend to lift it.
3. While carrying the object hold it close to your chest, keep your spine erect and straight.
4. When you are lifting the object, do not twist your body.
5. When you move heavy objects, push it instead of pulling it.
6. Do not remain seated for long hours. Get up once in a while and stretch your body.
7. Do not wear high heeled footwear.
8. Exercise regularly. Lack of it can cause back ache.
When you stand for long hours, shift your body weight from one foot to the other. You can also keep one foot in an elevated position by placing it on a stone, stool or raised platform. Stand straight and maintain a good posture.
Use chairs with straight backs which provide adequate support to your lower back. When you want to turn, turn by moving your entire body. Do not twist your body at the waist. This can cause back strain. While driving, sit straight with your seat forward within easy reach of the controls.
Sleep on your side with your knees bent. Put a pillow under your head to support your neck. If you sleep on your back, put pillows under your knees and a small pillow under your lower back.
Certain exercises can help you strengthen your back. However, consult your doctor before doing these exercises; your doctor knows what is best for you.